Click for larger image.
In 1761, John Stevens, Sr. from Plainfield, Connecticut traveled to Portsmouth, NH, on behalf of fifty-six would-be proprietors. He petitioned Governor Bennington Wentworth for a grant of land. He was successful, and the Town of Plainfield, New Hampshire was founded by Charter from King George III on August 14, 1761.1 We are now preparing a celebration of our 250 years in New Hampshire.
News and Updates
Our committee has been meeting for about a year and a half. Plans are taking shape, and we'd like to share our progress.
- Our 250th anniversary celebration will be the weekend of August 12-14, 2011.
- Our traditional July 4th celebrations will continue as always.
- T-shirts, hats and other 250th Anniversary memorabilia are available at the Plainfield Historical Society's On-line Store. Check it out!
||We are one of twelve towns celebrating an anniversary this year. There will be many events in the Upper Valley. See Vital Communities, Valley Quest and the Valley News blog for more information. Look for the Upper Valley 250th Anniversary Logo (at left) in other publications. In addition, you can
Pictures of Anniversary Events
Thanks to Rod Wendt, Sarah Gillens, Bev Widger and others for great pictures of the 250th Anniversary Celebration! (Click here.) We're still working on this display which provides only a sample of pictures taken. Bring your best digital pictures to the Town Office to add to the photographic record of the events!
August 12-14, 2011
- Art History of Plainfield at Duckworth Museum (10:00-4:00pm Fri., Sat., & Sun. - Aug 12 to Sep 5)
Friday evening in Plainfield Village
- 7:00-8:00pm -- Ice cream social w. music by North Country Chordsmen at Christ Community Church (across from the Fire Station)
- 7:00-9:00pm -- Plainfield Historical Society Open House w. exhibits and historic photos.
- 8:15-8:45pm -- Torchlight parade through town on Route 12A (everyone invited to participate)
- 8:30-9:15pm -- Outdoor concert w. Newmont Military Band
Saturday morning in Plainfield Village
- 7:30-9:30am -- Breakfast ($) at Plainfield Community Church
- 10:00-11:00am -- Puppet Show at Plainfield Town Hall c/o Plainfield Library
- 9:00-noon -- Plainfield Historical Society Open House
- 9:00-noon -- Post Office Stamp Cancellation at the Plainfield Historical Society ($)
Saturday Afternoon in Meriden Village
- 10:00-2:00pm -- Antique & Old Car Show - Meriden Baptist Church
- 12:30-2:00pm -- Lobster & Chicken BBQ ($) at Meriden Fire Dept. with music by Loose Cannons
- 12:30-2:00pm -- Colonial Games for children next to Meriden Fire Dept.
- 1:00-4:00pm -- Softball Game on Hall Farm Field and Field Games next to Fire Dept.
- 1:00-4:00pm -- 'Make a Kite' at Meriden Library
- 1:00-3:00pm -- Good Humor ice cream at the Meriden Library. Free to the first 100 children!
- 1:00-4:00pm -- Walking Tours of KUA begin at 1pm, 2pm, 3pm at Barnes Admissions Building
- 2:00pm -- Hike up French's Ledges - meet at Meriden Fire Dept.
Saturday Evening in Plainfield Village
- 4:30-6:30pm -- Reception for Plainfield School Alumni at Plainfield Historical Society Clubhouse
- 6:30-8:00pm -- Square Dance at Plainfield Town Hall
- 7:30-'til -- LOCATION CHANGE: Full Moon Dance at Plainfield Town Hall featuring No Sudden Moves. Refreshments ($) by Blow-Me-Down Grange
Sunday Morning in Meriden Village
- 7:30-9:30am -- Breakfast ($) at Meriden Congregational Church
- 10:00-11:00 -- Joint Church Service in Flickinger Arts Center at KUA
Sunday Afternoon in Plainfield Village
- 1:00pm -- Charter Signing Re-enactment at Plainfield Town Hall
- Followed by -- Time Capsule creation at Plainfield Town Hall
- Followed by -- Ceremony at Plainfield Cemetery
- 1:00-3:00pm -- Plainfield Historical Society Open House
- 1:00-5:00pm -- Open House at Plainfield Town Hall for viewing of Parrish Stage Set.
Sunday Evening at the Plainfield School
- 6:00pm-Dark -- Bring a picnic and enjoy the corn roast (corn provided). Note: Two or three grills will be available for general use. Bring chairs or blankets to sit on!
- 6:30-Dusk -- Concert by Upper Valley Community Band
- Dusk -- Fireworks!