Plainfield Public Libraries
The Town of Plainfield has two public libraries: one located in Plainfield Village and one in Meriden Village. The two libraries are governed by a single Board of Trustees.
On December 11, 1797, the New Hampshire legislature approved a petition from Daniel Kimball and other villagers to incorporate a library in Meriden Village. The library was housed in various buildings over the years. The current library was built on a parcel of land located next to the Meriden Grange and was dedicated on November 20, 1965.
Meriden Library Building Committee
Next meeting Tuesday January 30th MTH 7pm. All are welcome.
Meriden Library Building Committee Minutes
Meriden Library Finance Subcommittee Minutes
Next meeting of the Finance Subcommittee TBA
Building Needs Subcommittee Minutes
E-mail the Meriden Library Building Committee
Philip Read Memorial Library
The first library in Plainfield Village was established in 1805. However, in 1920 Edmund S. Read wished to honor his father and, at the same time, provide the people of Plainfield with their own library building. Mr. Read constructed the Philip Read Memorial Library and then offered the library to the town. Library use and services gradually outgrew the facility, and an addition to the library was built in 2004.
Both libraries are now funded by a combination of town appropriations, trust funds, fund raising and gifts. They share an on-line catalog and work cooperatively to provide access to information and materials (both print and nonprint) to people of all ages in the community in order to meet their recreational, informational, and educational needs.