Plainfield Town Garage Study Group
The recent focus on the sustainability of the Town Garage began a few years ago when the Plainfield Energy Committee (PEC) canvassed all of the town-owned buildings to find ways to control the high-cost of energy to maintain these buildings and save some of our tax dollars. It was also suggested that solar panels on the roof of some of these buildings would lessen the impact of the escalating cost of electricity. The Planning Board’s Natural Resource Inventory (NRI) was also cited for its reference to the environmental protection of the Penniman Wetlands which is adjacent and downstream of the Town Garage site.
Among the town-owned buildings canvassed by the PEC, the Town Garage has many complex challenges. The garage is a 35-year-old building constructed on an environmentally sensitive site. So, the Select Board asked for a volunteer group of residents representing various town boards and commissions to examine and make recommendations about the future of the highway maintenance buildings and site.
Statement of Purpose
- Advise the Select Board on actions needed for maintenance and repair of the Plainfield Town Garage
- Identify, define and prioritize necessary maintenance and repair items
- Formulate a ten-year plan to implement the required work so that the building and site remains viable for the next 30 to 40 years
- Integrate the concerns of the Plainfield Energy Committee, Conservation Commission, Planning Board and the Town Highway crew’s concerns in this process
- Recommend the necessary steps required to insure the building and site remain in compliance with the current building codes and NH State laws
To investigate, research and recommend how to insure that the…
- Town Garage is brought into code compliance with New Hampshire building codes
- Town’s natural resources and water quality are protected from adverse building operations
- Systems (e.g., water, sewer, toxic materials handling, heat, recommended ventilation, etc.) function efficiently and appropriately
- Modifications or repairs are made to insure the integrity of the existing garage and site
- The building provides an opportunity for a clean and healthy workplace for town employees